Thought of the Day – 9/12/2012

12 Sep

Is there another word in the English language with two more disparate meanings than “curb”?

Curb is either a noun describing the raised edge of a street.

Or

A verb describing the act of picking up your dog’s poop from somebody’s yard.

Advertisements

6 Responses to “Thought of the Day – 9/12/2012”

1. jumeirajames September 12, 2012 at 8:12 am #

or, it’s reining someone or something in as in ‘curb your enthusiasm’. I’ve never heard it in the context of poop scooping.

The edge of a street is ‘kerb’ btw.

• Feit Can Write September 12, 2012 at 11:29 am #

Interesting – I’ve never seen that spelling before. (I’ll admit it – I had to Google it to find out that “kerb” is either a British version or an engineering term).

If you don’t mind me asking – what part of the world do you hail from?

• jumeirajames September 12, 2012 at 11:34 pm #

I’m a Scotsman living in the Middle East and yes, I’m an engineer

2. Laura September 12, 2012 at 9:29 am #

I also have never heard the term curb used in reference to picking up dog poop, just as the raised edge of a street or to get something under control.

• Feit Can Write September 12, 2012 at 11:16 am #

Just to prove that I’m not making this up: http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/curbyourdog/Timeline

• Laura September 12, 2012 at 11:35 am #

I Googled it after reading your thought of the day. My city actually does have an ordinance on the issue, one where if you get caught, you pay a fine. We just call it cleaning up after your dog, or picking up your dog’s poop. We’re original like that.

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s