The meaning of Feit (and all of the ways my last name has been butchered)

6 Sep

Hopefully the name of the blog gives it away, but for those who do not know, my surname (Feit) is pronounced “Fight“.

Don’t feel bad if you weren’t sure.  In my life, I’ve found those having to pronounce my last name – an unlucky bunch of teachers, telemarketers, customer service reps, hotel/airline employees, professional colleagues, and more – only have about a 10% success rate.  Here are some of the common mispronunciations I’ve heard:

• feet
  • fee-it
  • fate
  • felt
  • fit

I have always been told the name is German, although I’m pretty sure the family tree originates to Luxembourg.  Living in the Midwest, which contains a pretty large population of Germans and immigrants from other central European countries, I am always surprised how many people don’t stand a chance with four simple letters – it’s the “ei” that trips ’em up.

I’ve attempted to use some of the different translator sites to determine just what “Feit” means, but without a lot of success.  Google Translate gave me Latvian (faith) as well as Dutch (fact) and Norwegian (fat).  Personally, I like to believe that it means “faith” – not only because that provides an honorable trait to my family name, but because of this sweet George Michael cover by some group called the Rainbow Ponies (God bless YouTube).

Advertisements

17 Responses to “The meaning of Feit (and all of the ways my last name has been butchered)”

1. Damien September 6, 2011 at 2:33 pm #

I feel your pain, I deal almost daily with the Damon vs. David vs. Damien vs. Mr. Bruce Willis. What can you do?

2. Kevin Feit March 15, 2012 at 2:15 pm #

What part of the midwest are you from? You’re probably related to me.

Kevin Feit

3. Kevin Feit March 15, 2012 at 2:22 pm #

I just read your “About” tab… are you one of the Feits from around Beatrice, NE? If so, then yes we are are related, and your ancestors moved from Bissen, LUX around 1870 to Illinois (then to MN, NE, etc.) I have the family genealogy pulled together including birth records from the church in Bissen. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bissen

I have yet to make it to the Feit family reunion, but apparently the next one is being held on August 5th at my parents farm near Rushmore, MN.

Take care.

Kevin

• Feit Can Write March 15, 2012 at 8:56 pm #

Yes – my father (Darrell) was born in Beatrice, NE. It’s been a while since I’ve been to a reunion in MN, but try to make it to the ones in NE. Hopefully, we’ll see each other sometime.

• Kevin Feit March 19, 2012 at 6:31 am #

Very cool. I’m currently living in Denver. Peg (Gordon) Kilker, and Staci Gordon both live out here as well, and we see each other often. I’m sure you probably have met them at one of the Feit reunions in NE.

Kev

4. jonas feit July 14, 2012 at 8:06 am #

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you, so much.

I used to work in sales for a guy with Brian-May-esque hair, and he had a little drawing of his hair on his business card. I’ve been looking for a boxing glove graphic to use in the same manner.

• Feit Can Write July 14, 2012 at 11:30 pm #

You’re very welcome.

In an advertising design class, we were to come up with a “brand” for ourselves. I really wanted to use the iconic Muhammad Ali / Sonny Liston image (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/gallery/featured/GAL1152502/1/index.htm) but I wasn’t a good enough designer to make it work.

I don’t have it any more, but I did use a boxing glove for the business card and letterhead. Since I’m not much of an artist/desiger (hence, why this is not Feit Can Draw) I recall they looked pretty ugly, but I’m guessing there is a good stock image that would work.

• Robert Feit December 6, 2013 at 5:02 pm #

My Surname is also Feit, living up in North Eastern canada. the genealogy does go back to the Prague area and the name comes from St. Vitus the patron saint protector from fire and lightning and was one of the 14 holy helpers apparently. just some food for thought.. cheers!

• mike feit November 8, 2015 at 9:20 pm #

Hi Robert and all Feit people! My name is Michael Feit and live in Cape Breton,Nova Scotia Canada. I am 65 yrs. old and have lived here all my life. My Father, Joseph,(1909-1975)along with 4 sibslings were born in Czechoslovakia to Frank and Anna Feit. I’d be interested in hearing from anyone with the Feit surname.

• Matt December 14, 2015 at 8:20 pm #

Hi Michael Im the son of Mathias (Tiker) I havent heard you name in a long time , hope all is well in Cape Breton

• Cynthia Brown April 5, 2017 at 11:24 am #

Hello, We may be related my Grandmother’s last name was Feit & she Married Robert Karlichek, they moved to Flint Michigan and had 6 children, Frank,Robert,Joe,Stanley, my Mother Caroline and Jennie. My Mother told me we had Family living im Nova Scotia hopefully we are related.

• Cynthia Brown April 5, 2017 at 11:29 am #

My Name is Cynthia by the way , hope to hear from you Mike

• Kevin Feit January 27, 2016 at 12:50 pm #

Hey
        My name is Kevin Feit. I am from Germany.
        I never thougt that there are more outside =)
        I live close to Luxembourg.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Super Ads « Feit Can Write - February 6, 2012

[…] Fiat – “Italian Dream” – More selling with sex.  An average looking guy checks out this beautiful woman.  She starts speaking to him in Italian and (after an initial slap to the face) starts seducing him.  Our romeo snaps out of it as he about to tongue the passenger window of a Fiat.  Comparing a small, boxy car to a hot model?  Um….no.  She was gorgeous, but it did not make me was to purchase a Fiat – even if it close to a common mispronunciation of my last name. […]

2. Rejected Baby Names « Feit Can Write - March 29, 2012

[…] to find names that we both like, there is an additional layer of challenge – my last name (Feit) can be used as a noun and a verb.  Why does that matter?  Unless we want our daughter to be a […]

3. Man Card « Feit Can Write - August 15, 2012

[…] my last name, I have never been in a […]

4. Year in Review « Feit Can Write - August 17, 2012

[…] two Google search phrases that have driven the most viewers to this site?  “Meaning of Feit” and […]

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s